Friday, February 15, 2013

New Dwell Studio Peacock Bedding

One of the duvet sets that I ordered from Layla Grace has arrived.  And I have to admit it, I love it.  It's really changed the look and feel of the room.  I do feel a bit disloyal, because I loved my old duvet so much and it did help me win a design competition.  But the new duvet is so fresh and clean looking.



I decided to see what it would look like with the old throw pillows that went so well with the old duvet.


Guess what?  They don't work.  Even though there's a teeny bit of orange in the pattern of the duvet, it just wasn't enough to tie them together.  Another thing that the throw pillows had in common with the old duvet was a similar pattern.


Here it is with layered with the quilt on top.  Nope, definitely not working.  Before it created a cozy bohemian vibe, this just looks disjointed and messy.

Let's try some different throw pillows.  These are the same design as the other duvet that I ordered by dwell studio.


Much better!  The pillows share lots of design elements with the duvet without it looking matchy matchy.


Spot the difference in the two pictures above.  The one on the right uses my old sheeting which is a light blue moroccan tile design.  The one on the left is much more graphic and punchy.



Here's a picture taken from the same angle with the old bedding, and old bed (obviously).


See what I mean about the patterns of the old duvet matching both patterns in the throw pillows.  Even the shade shares something in common with the flowers on the pillow.



Yep, that confirms it.  I really do like the new bedding better!  It's definitely a lot more sophisticated.  Like I said earlier, I do feel a little sad.  What I had before was definitely more bohemian, and that's what I truly aspire to, but the after is far more serene and sophisticated.  Am I being true to myself, I wonder?  I even removed the blue zigzag rug.


I did manage to recycle the orange bolster, which looks remarkably good on the love seat.  That zig zag is too much though.  Might have to have another go at reupholstering it.  Stay tuned!


What doesn't work as well with the new bedding are the lamp shades.  Their tone is definitely darker than the colors in the duvet.  The darker birds on the throw pillows help somewhat, but not quite.

I ordered this pillow from Anthropologie.  Maybe it will do the trick of tying the shades to the rest of the scheme.  Sometimes you've just got to try things out to see.



What do you think?  (I know the love seat is a little silly there, but I don't have anywhere else to put it.  Maybe I should sell it.)

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT!! Oh man, I saw this on Instagram and I'm so glad you posted it so I could see more pictures :) It looks fantastic - perfectly boho but with a sophisticated edge. Works so nicely that I'm kinda jealous lol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dwell studio bedding -- yours looks amazing!!

    New to your blog -- happy I've found it!

    Jenny
    Www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your sofa, and how you upholstered it. I'm just re-upholstering my first armchair - hard work! I would say I'm bohemian in style too, and sometimes I long for more sophistication, but like you say, is that being true to oneself? Perhaps most bohemians have a bit of sophistication within them. I don't think there is anything wrong with your zig zag pattern, it looks really nice in that area! I feel like you have two different areas in that room, one with the zig zag loveseat and one for your bed.

    http://nordicinspiration.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete