Saturday, November 13, 2010

Realestate stalking: If I had a million dollars or two......

If anyone knows me they'll know that I'm obsessed with houses. Any type of house, big or small, as long as it's pretty, I'll dream about it. But I do seem to have a particular style that I'm especially fond of and that is Colonials. Is it the symmetry of them? The elegant simplicity? I'm not sure, all I know is I want one and I will have one one day, damn it! As for now, all I can do is dream. The following properties have been on my lust list for a while. All of them are either currently listed, recently sold, or taken off the market for the winter.

http://www.utahrealestate.com/report/public.single.report/report/detailed/listno/986967/scroll_to/986967
 
Isn't she lovely?
If you've ever driven down Emigration Canyon, then you may be familiar with this property. You can't miss it, it sticks out like a sore thumb. A little bit of New England nestled among the rustic cabins and 70's contemporaries that generally line the canyon road. Yes, I know it doesn't really go with the setting, but Oh is she pretty? And the grounds are something to die for. Now if only it was closer to civilization. That's probably why, despite the relatively affordable price compared to similar properties in town, it's still on the market. She's also not bad inside, although I'd have to do something about the kitchen cabinets and bathrooms.

The next property has gorgeous bones, although not technically a colonial from the outside, inside it just screams New England style.

http://saltlakecity.ut-real-estate.com/974019/1414-e-perry-ave-n-salt-lake-city-ut/


This house has been on the market a number of times in the past few years. I'm not sure about the reasons for this, but it may be due to the fact that it has zero land, just a small brick courtyard in the back and a small patch of grass in the front and side. The home is absolutely stunning on the inside with crisp white cabinetry and mouldings, as well as the obligatory carrera marble countertops. It's certainly large enough to accomodate an average family, but you do need a little area for your kids to get their wiggles out. Anyway, I wonder if you could somehow enclose the driveway and flower bed at the front to make the side yard bigger? Just a thought.

Ahh, the next house is definitely a stunner both on the inside and out.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/339-Crestline-Cir-Salt-Lake-City-UT-84103/2137211863_zpid/

Not quite as tradition and symmetrical as I'd like, and why isn't there a window to the right of the door? But that can be over looked as soon as you step inside. The current owners have done a tremendous job making this home both elegant, inviting and lust worthy. Check out the beautiful roses. In fact, I believe that this home, or at least it's gardens, were featured in Utah Homes & Garden magazine (a magazine I had the pleasure of working for for 2 years).

Although the properties above are all lovely, there's something to be said for finding a diamond in the rough and making if your own. The following home is just that (although I'm sure the owner's think that it's perfect just as it is, hence the over inflated asking price).

http://www.slcity.com/manager/tourbrand/914761/
  
Perfect movie exterior
Can't you just imagine this perfect home with a perfect family. Oh the possibilities. She's not very large, and could do with a bit of an overhaul. Here's what I would do: Because there is no basement to shove gently place the kids when you have company, or generally when their screaming is getting on your nerves, I would have to build an addition over the garage with access to the garden. I would take down the wall between the kitchen and dining room and build a peninsular. I would also knock through the wall from the office to the kitchen and make the office a tv room/family room off the kitchen. Of course I would have to put in a fireplace and lots of built-ins in there. The kitchen would get a complete overhaul with simple inset white cabinets, marble counters, commercial appliances. I could just go on and on.

The next property deserves an "honorable mention". It's not a colonial, it's not even a house. But it is stylish and packs a big punch on the inside.

http://www.utahrealestate.com/985181


This condo was featured in Utah Homes & Garden magazine. It was completely remodelled a few years ago with traditional style cabinets, elegant mouldings, stately fireplaces. The interior design was done by the talented Linda Johnson of Johnson & Hodson, www.johnsonandhodson.com, whom I have had the pleasure of interviewing for UH&G magazine when I was doing a feature on another home she designed. In fact you can see the home as she designed it on her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment